Cricket is not a sport anymore but now has become an emotion that connects people throughout the world. Since, when the first cricket match was played till today, cricket as a sport has evolved drastically. A lot has been happening in the cricket world, with the players, the organization, and more. Cricket fans are always excited regarding the latest news about cricket and keep on searching for it online.
That’s not all, many players are also catching a huge scoop on the internet and social media because of their performances. One of the players is Aaron Finch. It is a name that doesn’t need any introduction in the cricket world. The Australian cricketer has earned the reputation of one of the most explosive batsmen in the game, with a natural talent for scoring runs quickly and aggressively.
Aaron James Finch was born on November 17, 1986, in Colac, Victoria, Australia. He used to play cricket with his brothers and showed significant evidence of a talent for the sport from a young age. Soon after, Finch made his debut for Victoria in 2006 and became a regular in the state team. This was the same year when he also debuted for T20. And years later, in 2013 he made his ODI debut for Australia.
Let’s take a look at some of the highlights of his cricketing career.
- T20I Career: Finch has been a key player for the Australian T20I team for several years. In his journey so far, he has played a total of 71 T20I matches for Australia and was able to score 2345 runs at an average of 38.52. He also holds the record for scoring the highest runs of 172 in T20I cricket against Zimbabwe in 2018. His batting style makes him one of the most dangerous players in the shortest format of the game, as his batting style is aggressive, and he also has the ability to score runs quickly. Moreover, under his captaincy, the Australian team has been victorious over the years.
- IPL Career: Finch has played for several IPL teams over the years, such as Rajasthan Royals, Delhi Daredevils, Pune Warrior India, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mumbai Indians, Gujarat Lions, and Royal Challengers Bangalore. In a total of 85 IPL matches, he scored 1994 runs with an average of 26.24. In 2015, while he was a part of the Mumbai Indians squad, the team was victorious in winning the IPL that year. His best performance throughout different teams was with Gujarat Lions in 2016, where he scored 393 runs in 13 matches.
- Finch’s Records: Finch was able to spread his wings on an international level and thus holds several records, such as record for scoring the highest individual score in T20I cricket against Zimbabwe in 2018, the record of the highest partnership in T20I cricket with D’Arcy Short, where the pair managed to score 223 runs for the first wicket against Zimbabwe in 2018. It would be correct to say that Finch’s records are a pure testimony to his batting prowess and his ability to score runs.
- Captaincy: Finch is currently appointed as the captain of the Australian T20I team. Under his captaincy, the Australian team managed to secure success for 22 matches out of 43 T20I matches. Finch has created a motivated environment for the team and because of that, the team is able to produce results. His aggressive captaincy style and ability to lead from the front is the reason the Australian T20I team are able to take on the challenges ahead of them. Finch’s captaincy has been a positive impact on the Australian team, and they will look to continue their good run under his leadership in the upcoming T20 World Cup.
But over time, Finch also has faced various challenges. These challenges were something that took a massive toll on him as well as his fans.
- Even with ground-breaking records, in 2018, there came a time when Finch was not able to perform well, and to which he was dropped from the Australian Test team. However, he saw this as not more than a minor hurdle and made his mind up to overcome this setback and in 2019, he made a successful comeback to the Test team.
- But after coping with a setback such as this, a new challenge awaited him. In 2019, he was diagnosed with a rare form of skin cancer, which required immediate surgery. This was the moment to address a man’s true passion for the sport as he not only come back but also led the Australian team in the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup, where the team managed to reach the semi-finals but however couldn’t reach the finals.
- Moreover, recently Finch has been struggling with a knee injury. Because of this, he missed the last few matches of the IPL and was also forced to sit out on the third ODI against India. The injury has raised serious concerns for the Australian team. He has been receiving treatment for the injury and is expected to appear in the T20 World Cup. Currently, his fitness is being monitored closely by the Australian team management.
- Another challenge that is most likely faced by every player or artist is the scrutiny and pressure from the world. Being a high-profile cricketer attracts both fans as well as haters. In recent years, Finch has been subjected to criticism about his form and ability to perform consistently. However, Finch remained focused on his game and has continued to work harder.
After facing such huge setbacks, an individual decides to stop or even retire with the least damage possible, but in this case, all these challenges have made Finch a stronger and more valuable asset player. He is one of the most exciting and talented cricketers in the game today.
With a combination of aggressive batting, natural leadership, and outstanding fielding skills he is one of the key players the Australian team cannot afford to lose, and the fans are expecting to see him on the field as much as possible. Cricket fans wish to see Aaron Finch and the Australian team at their best for the upcoming T20 World Cup.